Painting the Figure
in a "chiaroscuro" approach of the old masters
Tuesday, October 30th, 2018
7:00 – 9:00 pm
at the Hawthorne Center
6175 Sunny Spring
Columbia, MD 21044
BWS Members & their Guests: September 8th, 2018
Non-members: September 22nd, 2018
Not a Member? Consider becoming an Associate
$25 for all BWS members
$30 for guests and public
Remember that these popular events sell out fast
Registration ends October 21st, 2018 or when the event is full
FOR ONLINE REGISTRATION VISIT:
www.bws.wildapricot.org and go to Public Events.
Due to the high demand for workshops, all registrations have to be paid within 5 days of registering. No exceptions please.
We are pleased to announce that Matthew Bird will be giving a special presentation for the Baltimore Watercolor Society on the evening of Tuesday, October 30th 2018
Matthew's evening program will be a talk and presentation with a watercolor painting technique demonstration on a subject of his choosing.
Painting the Figure in Watercolor
Focusing on the “chiaroscuro” approach of the old masters, which uses strong light and rich shadow to create intense and dramatic paintings and Matthew's technique to giving insight into his methods and philosophies.
Topic will include
- Painting the translucency of skin.
- Handling complex textures such as hair and fabric.
- Tips on working with a model to create engaging portraits.
- Special attention will be given to the unique properties of light and shadow, as well as design, value, edges and color.
About Matthew Bird
Matthew Bird is an American painter. Born in Baltimore, Maryland, he graduated with honors from the Pratt Institute of Art in Brooklyn, New York, in 2000. He is a Signature Member of the Baltimore Watercolor Society (BWS) and the National Watercolor Society (NWS). His award-winning paintings have been exhibited in juried shows across the United States, as well as in Canada, China, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy, and seen on the pages of Fine Art Connoisseur, The Artist Magazine, and Watercolor Magazine.
As an illustrator, he has five children’s books published and his paintings have been used as greeting cards for The Smithsonian Institution, National Geographic, the National Audubon Society, and the National Wildlife Federation, among others.
Matthew maintains a studio outside Baltimore, with his wife and children.For more information about Matthew Bird, NWS, BWS, visit
Matthew Bird Studio
Facebook • Instagram • Twitter
- Date: October 30th, 2018 (Tuesday), from 7:00 – 9:00 pm (building opens at 6:30 pm)
- Price: $25 for all BWS members and $30 for guests and public; no refunds (except in the case of the event being cancelled for weather or other reason.)
- Please pay online via PayPal if possible; PayPal allows the use of your Credit Cards whether or not you have a PayPal account. Otherwise, checks should be made out to Baltimore Watercolor Society and mailed to Sabine Yeager at the address below. Please enter the name of the program on your check.
- For online registration, visit www.bws.wildapricot.org and go to Public Events.
- Participants will be limited to 50 people.
- The program will take place at The Hawthorn Center in Hickory Ridge, Columbia, MD. 6175 Sunny Spring, Columbia, MD 21044.
- Confirmation of your registration will be sent upon receipt of your check or online payment. Checks must be received within 5 days of registration to be considered as registered.
Mail checks to:
3420 Buttonwood Ct.
Reisterstown, MD 21136